‘So…’ Podcast with John Mckenna – Episode: Disability Advocacy & Counselling, Working together – John interviews DANA CEO Mary Mallett and Dr Cathy Kezelman AM, the President of Blue Knot Foundation which operates the National Counselling and Referral Service
Disability Royal Commission
Refer to the official website of the Royal Commission into Violence, Abuse, Neglect and Exploitation of People with Disability (or DRC for short) at www.disability.royalcommission.gov.au to ensure you are accessing the most up-to-date information.
Visit the DRC website to access or download the:
- Submission form and resources
- Questions to help you (to make a submission)
- Request for a private session
- Practice guidelines
- Issues papers
- Public hearings information
- First Nations engagement principles
- Culturally and linguistically diverse engagement principles
- First Progress Report (December 2019)
- Second Progress Report (August 2020)
- Education and learning: Overview of responses to the first Issues paper and Report: Inclusive education in Queensland – preliminary inquiry
- The experience of living in a group home for people with disability: Overview of responses to Issues Paper and Public hearing report
- Healthcare for people with cognitive disability: Overview of responses to Issues Paper and Public hearing report
- Experiences of people with disability during the pandemic: Public hearing report
- Research Reports:
- Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities: Shining a light on Social Transformation
- The United Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities – An Assessment of Australia’s Level of Compliance
- Persons with Disability and the Australian Constitution
- Hierarchies of power – Disability theories and models and their implications for violence against, and abuse, neglect, and exploitation of, people with disability
- Something Stronger – Truth-telling on hurt and loss, strength and healing, from First Nations people with disability
- Examining language and vocabulary used by people living with disability
On the DRC YouTube channel you can find videos of:
The DRC newsletter Connect, provides fortnightly updates and news on the Commission’s work.
Department of Social Services (DSS) website
Visit the DSS website to access information about the DRC support services or download the
- fact sheet
- Easy Read fact sheet
- Translated fact sheet (available in Arabic, Chinese, Farsi, French, Greek, Hindi, Italian, Spanish, Turkish, Urdu and Vietnamese)
- communication toolkit
- social media images
Your Story Disability Legal Support
Your Story Disability Legal Support provides free, independent legal support to share your story with the Disability Royal Commission.
This service has produced resources for people with disability, including a number of useful factsheets:
- Legal help to engage with the [DRC]
- How to use Your Story Disability Legal Support (Easy English guide)
- Can I name names?
There are also lists of Frequently Asked Questions for
Are you worried about sharing your story with the Disability Royal Commission? (short video)
If you are another support organisation wishing to make a referral to Your Story Disability Legal Support, there is an updated referral form, a legal referral checklist and guide to using that checklist on their Resources for Organisations page.
You can also watch their hour-long webinars about
- Preparing a submission for the Disability Royal Commission
- Your Story Disability Legal Support and the Disability Royal Commission,
- Working Together with Your Story Disability Legal Support
These webinars include useful information on how Your Story and disability advocates can work together.
National Counselling and Referral Service
Blue Knot Foundation will be elevating its promotion of the National Counselling and Referral service as a key trauma-informed support for people with disability, family members, carers, advocates and workers who have experienced or witnessed abuse, neglect, violence and exploitation.
Anyone who wishes to access this support does not need to make a submission or have any prior involvement with the Disability Royal Commission.
You can call the National Counselling and Referral Service on 1800 421 468.
To find out more about the National Counselling and Referral Service, visit the Blue Knot Foundation website.
Resources from organisations providing advocacy support
Advocacy for Inclusion
- Staying Connected Podcast:
- Tell Your Story with Help from an Advocate (Easy English guide)
- I want to tell my story. Do I need legal support? (Easy English guide)
- Telling Hard Stories video (Easy English)
Aged and Disability Advocacy (QLD)
Association for Children with a Disability (VIC)
Council for Intellectual Disability (CID)
Disability Advocacy and Complaints Service of South Australia Inc (DACSSA)
Darwin Community Legal Service (DCLS)
- Tell Your Story information sheet
- Visit the DCLS website for fact sheet on Disability in the NT context.
- What is a Royal Commission? fact sheet
- FAQ on sharing with the Disability Royal Commission fact sheet
- Introducing Troy Hester, DRC Advocacy Project Officer (short video)
- Disability Royal Commission Update webinar
- Q&A with Your Story Disability Legal Support – Do I need legal advice? webinar
- Talking to the Disability Royal Commission Webinar
People With Disabilities WA and WA network
Queensland Advocacy Incorporated
Victorian Mental Illness Awareness Council (VMIAC)
- Questions To Help With Your Submission
- Submission Examples
- How To Make A Submission (video and written guide)
Victorian Advocacy League For Individuals With Disability
National representative organisations
Australian Federation of Disability Organisations (AFDO)
- Latest News
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Making a submission
- Voluntary Engagement Toolkit (for submissions and community forums)
- Workshop video and transcript – Natalie Wade, AFDO Expert Adviser on the Disability Royal Commission presenting at the AFDO Next Wave Conference in October 2019
People With Disability (PWD) Australia
Children and Young People with Disability Australia (CYDA)
- Frequently Asked Questions and inclusive education resources
- The Disability Royal Commission and how to get involved fact sheet
- What to do when harm occurs – or if you suspect it fact sheet
- How can we help keep children and young people with disability safe? fact sheet
- What is violence, abuse, neglect and exploitation of children and young people with disability fact sheet
National Ethnic Disability Alliance
- Fact sheets translated into 12 different languages:
- What is the Disability Royal Commission?
- What does the Disability Royal Commission Do?
- NEDA’s Statement on the Disability Royal Commission
- What is Violence, Abuse, Neglect and Exploitation?
- How to Make a Submission
- Royal Commission Guidebook
- Telling Stories video 1
- What is Violence, Neglect, Abuse and Exploitation? Part 1 and Part 2
Women With Disability Australia (WWDA)
- Disability Royal Commission page on Our Place (available in Easy Read version)
- Related resources
- Information for Supporters and Services
First Peoples Disability Network (FPDN) Australia
- Royal Commission News
- Taking Care of Disability Business webinars – Webinar 2 features Commissioner Andrea Mason OAM speaking about First Nations engagement
- Respectful Listening animation
Other useful resources and information
Unofficial information site: www.disabilityroyalcommission.com
Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC)
ABC News has created a Disability Royal Commission webpage where it will file all relevant news stories, such as:
- Making the Disability Royal Commission accessible for witnesses
- Will the Disability Royal Commission lead to change?
- Disability advocates welcome the long awaited Royal Commission (Featuring DANA CEO, Mary Mallett)